Friday, April 29, 2016
Women of substance - 12th Sahyadri Hirkani Award 2016 Ceremony DDK Mumbai
The 12th Sahyadri Hirkani Award 2016 Ceremony was organized at at Doordarshan Kendra,Worli
A woman of substance is a woman of power, a woman of positive influence and a woman of meaning. A brainchild of Shri Mukesh Sharma (ADG – Doordarshan), Sahyadri Hirkani Awards honored nine distinguished women from across Maharashtra who, with sheer grit and determination, left their stamp in a male-dominated arena and brought the desired social change in the society.
The awards were decided by an independent jury and prominent personality’s viz., Smt.Meera Borawankar,DG,Legal & Technical,Govt. of Maharashtra, Dr.Nishigandha Wad,Scholar & TV personality, Shri. Dilip Chaware, Sr.Journalist,. Advocate Jai Vaidya & Sanjay Awate,Editor-Mumbai Sakal.
The Eight Hirkani Award recipients were:
1. Priyanka Mohite: Born in Satara village near the mountains of Ajinkyatara. Twenty one years old Priyanka Mohite became the youngest Maharashtrian girl to scale Mount Everest. She created a record by becoming third Youngest Indian and second Maharashtrian to scale Mount Everest.
2.Usha Madavi : From Remote Naxalite area Salekasa which is at the border of Maharashtra and M.P Usha Madavi strives to protect jungle nearby villages. Along with other womens and support of her husband she was able to protect 500 acrs of jungle area from forest and land Mafia which were doing forest cutting and sand lifting illegally,after patrolling the jungle area day and night.
3. Suman More : 50 yrs Suman more worked as Ragpicker. Suman More had many challenges in life. she was earlier shunned by the society for being a garbage picker until life turned a full circle when she was selected to speak at the international Labour Organisation conference held at Geneva. Her story was the inspiration to many.
4. Wahbiz Bharucha : From Pune was always Scholar in Academics and sports. Her coach first spotted her in school and asked her to join the sessions . She has become Icaptain for Indias Rugby womens Team. She intends to propagate and popularise Rugby as career sports opportunity for Women in India.
5. Dr. Madhavi Khode Chavre : From Yavatmal, was always a topper in academics. She topped 10th std ,12th std and topped in MBBS in 2001 as Gynocologist.In 2007 She became an IAS. Right now she is posted as Additional Tribal commissioner at Nagpur.
6. Shabana Sheikh : Is the 1st Muslim women Police officer from Male dominated village of Ahmednager. Among nine siblings and from a very poor family she had aim and dedication to do something in life and in 1992 she passed MPSC exam and was inducted in police force.
7. Mumtaz sheikh : A Mumai based activist Mumtaz sheikh who started the campaign for RIGHT TO PEE along with her CORO team has been successful in developing toiltes in Mumbai. She started the campaign which is a simple mantra that fights to give basic sanitation facility to women in India. She strongly believed that issues of sanitation can be resolved through Right to Pee campaign.
8. Dr.Sandhya Purecha : A traditional Bharatnatyam dancer a deciple of Guru Parvathikumar, found it necessary to examine and understand the theoretical basis on which the tradition of dance and the traditional techniques have been built. After learning the shlock's of Abhinaya Darpanam she felt the need to coordinate the Shastra and Sampraday. She has her dance institute 'Kala Parichay "and has trained nearly 5000 students in Bharatnaryam. Sandhya has performed for various prestigious festivals and organisation in India and abroad.
“Sahyadri Hirkani Sanman Sohala” will be telecast on DD Sahayadri on Saturday, 30th April 2016 from 4:30 p.m. onwards.
Source and Credit : Mukesh Sharma